Definition of vessel in English:
1A ship or large boat.
- The bridge only opens with two keys, at the moment it is high and open, which would allow ships and other nautical vessels to pass beneath us.
- An intensive search for the vessel's mother ship was mounted but nothing found.
- It said about 35,409 ships and vessels have returned to ports.
2A hollow container, especially one used to hold liquid, such as a bowl or cask.
- Once you decide on the drinking vessel (goblet, bowl, mug or stein), you need to get it from the shelves.
- It can only obtain a liquid state under very high pressure in a containment vessel.
- Glass containers, ceramic vessels and galvanised cans brimming with an array of cacti, gerbera and orchids are available for your mum's Mother's Day delectation.
2.1(Chiefly in or alluding to biblical use) a person, especially regarded as holding or embodying a particular quality: giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel
More example sentences
- We need to remember that God puts the treasure of his gospel in earthen vessels.
- It's not the gospel that is so fragile but we, the vessels - and it's OK for us to be fragile, to be weak and sinful, to be utterly human.
- They were ‘servants’ and ‘instruments’ as well as passive vessels in contemplation.
3 Anatomy & Zoology A duct or canal holding or conveying blood or other fluid. See also blood vessel.
- And consuming too much alcohol also can dilate the blood vessels in the skin, giving it a reddish hue.
- They also have a similarity to the small blood vessels damaged in long-standing diabetes.
- These help constrict dilated vessels of the nose and help water eyes.
3.1 Botany Any of the tubular structures in the vascular system of a plant, serving to conduct water and mineral nutrients from the root.
- The fungus plugs up the tree's vascular system, the collection of tiny vessels that transports water and nutrients to the plant cells.
- The finely porous membranes are designed to allow the flow of water between adjacent vessels while preventing the passage of gas bubbles and pathogens.
- Throughout most of the day, when the plant is transpiring, these vessels will contain water under substantial hydraulic tension.
Words that rhyme with vesselBessel, nestle, pestle, redressal, trestle, wrestle
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.