- 1A person who has had long experience in a particular field.More example sentences
- The new players have provided tough competition to the veterans in the field.
- This veteran found the experience so outlandish that he could not tell anyone about it.
- Separately, however, they were veterans of the festival experience as solo performers.
- 1.1A person who has served in the military: a veteran of two world warsMore example sentences
- He was one of several MPs from all parties who supported those campaigning for a medal for veterans who served in Egypt.
- Army veterans who served in World War Two have joined the campaign to save their former regiment.
- The description was wholeheartedly endorsed by veterans who served under the Brigadier.
early 16th century: from French vétéran or Latin veteranus, from vetus 'old'.