Definition of vexatious in English:
1Causing or tending to cause annoyance, frustration, or worry: the vexatious questions posed by software copyrights
More example sentences
- On another issue that is causing us quite a lot of vexatious worry has been the need to repeatedly restate the same things over and over.
- But what Herbert proposes is no mere flight from awkward questions and a vexatious world.
- I question how vexatious accusations will be dealt with under this legislation.
1.1 Law Denoting an action or the bringer of an action that is brought without sufficient grounds for winning, purely to cause annoyance to the defendant.
- The Commonwealth is in a position where it is saying that section 44 does not confer jurisdiction on the County Court untrammelled by the vexatious litigant order made by the Supreme Court.
- Access to the courts can be and is limited by statute, for example by Section 42 of the Supreme Court Act 1981, which requires a vexatious litigant to obtain the permission of a high court judge to begin proceedings.
- It seems that if such a defence fails, the vexatious litigant does require permission to institute appellate proceedings.
- Example sentences
- She said: ‘I can't think of anything more dreadful than someone who is completely innocent and is vexatiously charged, having to live through the kind of publicity that goes with that.’
- The young man claims he was brutally beaten in Garda custody, vexatiously charged with assault and taken to court.
- Where, in the opinion of the tribunal, a party has in bringing or conducting the proceedings acted frivolously, vexatiously, abusively, disruptively or otherwise unreasonably, the tribunal may make -
- Example sentences
- In the context, the focus of the attention of the Justice is obviously that of the propounded frivolousness or vexatiousness of the process.
- If nothing, it's a pretty accurate transcription of tedium and vexatiousness in comics form.
- This vexatiousness is one instance of the gap between normative and descriptive domains.
Words that rhyme with vexatiousAthanasius, audacious, bodacious, cactaceous, capacious, carbonaceous, contumacious, Cretaceous, curvaceous, disputatious, edacious, efficacious, fallacious, farinaceous, flirtatious, foliaceous, fugacious, gracious, hellacious, herbaceous, Ignatius, loquacious, mendacious, mordacious, ostentatious, perspicacious, pertinacious, pugnacious, rapacious, sagacious, salacious, saponaceous, sebaceous, sequacious, setaceous, spacious, tenacious, veracious, vivacious, voracious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan