Definition of vicar in English:
- The Pope's vicar or deputy for Rome, Cardinal Camillo Luini, also continues in his functions of providing for the pastoral needs of the city.
- Bishops should resume their traditional roles as vicars of Christ in their own dioceses and be prepared to consult with the presbyteral, pastoral, and finance councils provided for in canon law.
- Now, I suspect that most of us read this anecdote with a somewhat bemused attitude at the daring of the vicar for having asked something so time-consuming of his bishop.
- The movement claims as active members 40 or 50 Church of England vicars and some Catholic priests.
- For 12 months cameras will follow the fortunes of the St Mary Magdalene's, which at present is being looked after by a vicar from a neighbouring parish, as the new incumbent tries to make a difference.
- She later earned a doctorate in psychology from Fordham University, and was the vicar for religious in the Trenton Diocese.
- From 1692 to 1695 he was organist at Winchester College, and in 1699 he was made a vicar choral and organist of St Paul's Cathedral.
- Two of the vicars choral were sitting by the fire.
- And certain vicars choral did succumb to the temptation of female company.
The original vicar was a person who stood in for another; at first, around 1300, as an earthly representative of God or Christ (the pope), and then for an absent parson or rector. From there the vicar became the minister in charge of a parish where tithes or taxes passed to a monastery or other religious house, who paid the vicar as their ‘representative’—a rector (LME from the Latin for ‘rule’), on the other hand, kept the tithes for himself. These meanings reflected the root, Latin vicarius ‘a substitute’, from which vicarious (mid 17th century), ‘experienced in the imagination through the actions of another person’, also derives.
- Example sentences
- During the vicarship of Fr. Vincent Das Navis, in 1910, foundation stone for the present new church was laid.
- The vicarship was absolved, and the areas outside of Transylvania were again united with the main church.
- He served parochial vicarships in Greensburg, New Kensington and Indiana, before being named pastor of Seven Dolors Parish in Yukon and administrator of St. Timothy.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.