Definition of vicereine in English:
1The wife of a viceroy.
- He was on personal terms with every viceroy and vicereine and their staffs in the period between the 1890s and 1930s, and was awarded an Indian knighthood in 1929.
- Besides, one of the ladies-in-waiting just told me that the vicereine doesn't want any soup.
- Knowing that the Church is cracking down on its perceived enemies, the vicereine offers Sister Juana her protection.
1.1A female viceroy.
- Another achievement is the important role of women, who have become vicereines, first ministers, national directors, or secretaries.
Early 19th century: from French, from vice- 'in place of' + reine 'queen'.
Words that rhyme with vicereineabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, wain, wane, Wayne
Definition of vicereine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.