- 1The wife of a viceroy.More example sentences
- He was on personal terms with every viceroy and vicereine and their staffs in the period between the 1890s and 1930s, and was awarded an Indian knighthood in 1929.
- Besides, one of the ladies-in-waiting just told me that the vicereine doesn't want any soup.
- Knowing that the Church is cracking down on its perceived enemies, the vicereine offers Sister Juana her protection.
- 1.1A female viceroy.More example sentences
- Another achievement is the important role of women, who have become vicereines, first ministers, national directors, or secretaries.
early 19th century: from French, from vice- 'in place of' + reine 'queen'.
More definitions of vicereineDefinition of vicereine in:
- The British & World English dictionary