Definition of vinaigrette in English:
1 (also vinaigrette dressing) Salad dressing of oil, wine vinegar, and seasoning.
- Spoon a portion of red curry vinaigrette around the steak tartare.
- We do have a home made, sugar free mint sauce and a home made oil and fat free vinaigrette salad dressing.
- The pomme d' amour is also the central flavouring and colouring agent in the famous Creole sauce - a sauce almost as international as vinaigrette or mayonnaise.
2 historical A small ornamental bottle for holding smelling salts.
- We left the windows open for a few hours, but the apartment still smells like a vinaigrette.
- She rummaged in her reticule for a vinaigrette, dabbed her handkerchief with it and pressed the handkerchief to her nose.
- We often read about overwrought ladies reaching for their vinaigrettes, or of stalwart heroes reviving a swooning damsel by waving a vinaigrette beneath her nose.
French, diminutive of vinaigre 'vinegar'.
Words that rhyme with vinaigretteabet, aiguillette, anisette, Annette, Antoinette, arête, Arlette, ate, baguette, banquette, barbette, barrette, basinet, bassinet, beget, Bernadette, beset, bet, Bette, blanquette, Brett, briquette, brochette, brunette (US brunet), Burnett, cadet, caravanette, cassette, castanet, charette, cigarette (US cigaret), clarinet, Claudette, Colette, coquette, corvette, couchette, courgette, croquette, curette, curvet, Debrett, debt, dinette, diskette, duet, epaulette (US epaulet), flageolet, flannelette, forget, fret, galette, gazette, Georgette, get, godet, grisette, heavyset, Jeanette, jet, kitchenette, La Fayette, landaulet, launderette, layette, lazaret, leatherette, let, Lett, lorgnette, luncheonette, lunette, Lynette, maisonette, majorette, maquette, Marie-Antoinette, marionette, Marquette, marquisette, martinet, met, minaret, minuet, moquette, motet, musette, Nanette, net, noisette, nonet, novelette, nymphet, octet, Odette, on-set, oubliette, Paulette, pet, Phuket, picquet, pillaret, pincette, pipette, piquet, pirouette, planchette, pochette, quartet, quickset, quintet, regret, ret, Rhett, roomette, rosette, roulette, satinette, septet, serviette, sestet, set, sett, sextet, silhouette, soubrette, spinet, spinneret, statuette, stet, stockinet, sublet, suffragette, Suzette, sweat, thickset, threat, Tibet, toilette, tret, underlet, upset, usherette, vedette, vet, vignette, wagonette, wet, whet, winceyette, yet, Yvette
Definition of vinaigrette in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan