Definition of vinegar in English:
1A sour-tasting liquid containing acetic acid, obtained by fermenting dilute alcoholic liquids, typically wine, cider, or beer, and used as a condiment or for pickling.
- In southern Europe wine vinegar is the norm, for example, while in northern Europe malt, cider, and distilled vinegars predominate, and in the Far East rice vinegar is most usual.
- It also gives its name to tarragon vinegar, one of the best-known flavoured vinegars.
- When fully incorporated, add the capers, parsley, the vinegars and the water.
1.1Sourness or peevishness of behavior, character, or speech: her aggrieved tone held a touch of vinegar
More example sentences
- Lady Catherine de Bourgh would turn a saint's milk of human kindness to vinegar.
- Ill confess: the sharp vinegar of bad temper surged up inside me.
- Then next day the boy, who was very strongly recommended by the carpet seller's vinegar tongued wife; arrived with his friend
- Example sentences
- The noodles are prepared with a specially prepared sauce and a dollop of vinegarish chilli paste.
- Unable to unload carbon dioxide into my lungs, my blood would turn vinegarish and my kidneys would burn out trying to neutralize the acid.
- It was originally named Vinegaroon, for a large scorpion-like spider, native to the area, which emits a vinegarish stench when upset.
- Example sentences
- Her scallops were perfectly cooked, but the accompanying pancetta had a harsh, unpleasant, vinegary tinge which meant it had to be removed before the scallops could be enjoyed.
- Old people, deprived of their mate, reduce down into these bitter, vinegary distillates of their former selves.
- She wrinkled her nose at the acrid, vinegary fumes emitted from the bottle.
Definition of vinegar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan