Definition of violet in English:
1A herbaceous plant of temperate regions, typically having purple, blue, or white five-petaled flowers, one of which forms a landing pad for pollinating insects.
- Genus Viola, family Violaceae (the violet family): many species, including the dog violet and sweet violet . See also viola2
- Colourful wild flowers sprung up by the roadside, purple violets and white daisies dotted among the grass.
- Purple hyacinths and blue violets arranged together, the colors working together nicely.
- There were pools that dreamed black and unruffled, there were a few white lilies, crocuses and violets; purple or pale, snake-like frittilaries.
1.1Used in names of similar-flowered plants of other families, e.g., African violet.
- Bird's-Foot (V. pedata) violets are similar to Confederate violets in that they have no runners.
- Erythronium dens-canis is the true dog's tooth violet, the name comes from the shape of the corm, and has rose coloured flowers on 10 cm stems and purple marked leaves.
- You may put your African violet on a self-watering system to ensure a constant, optimum level of moisture.
2A bluish-purple color seen at the end of the spectrum opposite red.
- He was splendidly dressed in the royal scarlet and bluish violet.
- Except for one large canvas dependent on scrabbled zones of shockingly clear violet, most of the paintings are a little murky.
- Now, it was not a bluish sort of violet, but pure, clear purple.
adjectiveBack to top
Of a purplish-blue color.
- He had a mess of shaggy violet colored hair and violet eyes that shone with a mixture of childish curiosity and animal-like awareness.
- In Ricochet, he scatters an array of ellipses-with-trails in a multitude of colors over a plummy violet ground.
- His scales were a dark violet color; they shone brilliantly in the firelight.
Words that rhyme with violetcouplet • cutlet • frontlet
Definition of violet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.