Definition of viperfish in English:
noun (plural same or viperfishes)
A small, elongated deep-sea fish that has large jaws with long protruding fangs.
- Family Chauliodontidae: several genera and species
- Sloane's viperfish are not known to be sexually dimorphic since the specimens caught are rarely sexed.
- The viperfish is thought to use its sharp teeth to impale its victims by swimming at them at high speeds.
- The viperfish may be expected on the offshore banks as a stray at any time, for several have been taken off the continental slope abreast of southern New England in deep water.
Definition of viperfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan