noun (plural vireos)
A small American songbird, typically having a green or gray back and yellow or white underparts.
- Family Vireonidae (the vireo family): two genera, especially Vireo, and several species. The vireo family also includes the greenlets and peppershrikes
More example sentences
- This is how the edge of the forest mocks a birdwatcher: though I'm looking intently for warblers, vireos, and tanagers, I get only house sparrows.
- Cedar waxwings, crows, finches, flycatchers, grosbeaks, grouse, jays, mockingbirds, pheasants, thrushes, vireos, and woodpeckers feed on their fruits.
- He observed that the tail moves during vocalization in crows, warbling vireos, and lovebirds.
mid 19th century: from Latin, perhaps denoting a greenfinch.
More definitions of vireoDefinition of vireo in:
- The British & World English dictionary