Definition of virgin birth in English:
1 (the Virgin Birth) The doctrine of Christ’s birth from a mother, Mary, who was a virgin.
- Thus, the truth of Mary's perpetual virginity is, like the Virgin Birth, essential Catholic belief.
- We will not go into the difference between the immaculate conception and virgin birth.
- At school, like my peers, I was indoctrinated in the mysteries of original and venal sin, virgin birth, the respective criteria for entry to limbo, purgatory, and heaven.
2 Zoology Parthenogenesis.
- These so-called virgin births are common in invertebrates like snails, but are unusual in higher vertebrates.
- The bonnethead shark and bamboo shark are from different families; the bonnethead suspected of a virgin birth gave birth to a live pup, rather than laying eggs as the bamboo shark had.
- It was a virgin birth: She hadn't been near a male for six years.
Definition of virgin birth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan