Definition of virtuoso in English:
noun (plural virtuosi-sē or virtuosos)
1A person highly skilled in music or another artistic pursuit: a celebrated clarinet virtuoso [as modifier]: virtuoso guitar playing
More example sentences
- Walker began his musical career as a virtuoso pianist, with composing and teaching work coming later.
- Johan becomes a virtuoso of classical music, a driving force who cannot be ignored.
- It also excludes music for virtuoso display in the large concert hall, even though only a few instruments may be involved.
genius, expert, master, past master, maestro, artist, prodigy, marvel, adept, professional, doyen, veteran;
skillful, expert, accomplished, masterly, master, consummate, proficient, talented, gifted, adept, good, capable;
impressive, outstanding, exceptional, magnificent, supreme, first-rate, stellar, brilliant, excellent
1.1A person with a special knowledge of or interest in works of art or curios.
- Bourgeois collectors began to play a part, and Mancini's treatise Considerazioni sulla pittura, addressed to the gentleman amateur, advised virtuosi on how to form a collection of paintings.
- Yet proverbs were objects of curiosity, collected on an encyclopedic scale by Italian virtuosi as well as other European scholars throughout the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
- A wonderfully fluent technician, who moved in virtuosi circles, Lely recorded the worlds of politics and fashion alike, and sometimes revealed undoubted powers of character penetration.
- Example sentences
- Quite simply, Miles was looking for a ‘blacker’ sound, for a less self-conscious and virtuosic approach than Coltrane's.
- The symphony explores the extremes of virtuosic exertion, the limits of human endurance reaching for the impossible - so thrilling and satisfying to perform and listen to.
- These recordings of Coleman's inspired, deeply expressive and virtuosic playing are what kept Irish traditional music alive in the early 20th century.
Words that rhyme with virtuosoarioso, bozo, Gozo, mafioso
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan