Definition of virtuous in English:
1Having or showing high moral standards: she considered herself very virtuous because she neither drank nor smoked
More example sentences
- That's why part of the school's mission is to build ‘a diverse, virtuous and moral America,’ he said.
- Should applications of technology be socially virtuous by any standard?
- Indeed, a parent who made his love conditional upon a child's maintaining some particular standard of virtuous behavior would be rightly regarded as something of a monster.
1.1 archaic (Especially of a woman) chaste.
- Faithful Emilia died, still calmly defending Desdemona's innocence and proclaiming her love for the virtuous woman.
- Both serials harked back to a period when men were heroic, women were virtuous and times were better.
- Arthurian quests in the name of chivalry, knight-errants fighting for the love and honor of a virtuous woman lose out in these Arthurian storylines to Arthur's subduing of countless lands.
- Example sentences
- This kinder, gentler discipline was designed to get children to behave virtuously because they had internalized national values, not because they feared either external authority or the shame they would bring on their families.
- ‘The way to remember the future,’ he answered as Tolstoy might have, ‘is to live virtuously in the present.’
- All experience suggests that exhortations to young people to behave virtuously in matters such as diet and exercise (not to mention in relation to alcohol, drugs and sex) are more likely to result in contrary behaviour.
- Example sentences
- During the 1950s the evil of communism was invariably defined by the virtuousness of its enemies.
- Callers try to top each other in the virtuousness of their hysteria, and the violence of their solutions.
- In much of today's Western culture, virtuousness is primarily associated with exaggerated propriety, but in past centuries virtue was of immense importance as a pivotal principle of religious, ethical and political thought.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan