Definition of viscoelasticity in English:
The property of a substance of exhibiting both elastic and viscous behavior, the application of stress causing temporary deformation if the stress is quickly removed but permanent deformation if it is maintained.
- Indeed, several contributions have investigated the potential of phase imaging to detect variations in material properties such as adhesion, elasticity, and viscoelasticity, or to image samples with large vertical dimensions.
- However, little is known about how these attributes vary with temperature, pressure and shear rate because these measurements are difficult to make for commercial lubricants that have weak viscoelasticity.
- In comparison with rheological and theoretical studies on viscoelasticity of actin gels, the properties of orientational ordering of actin have been less studied, both theoretically and experimentally.
- Example sentences
- The viscous component in the viscoelastic behavior can be determined by assessing the amount of hysteresis during relaxation after mechanical deformation.
- Rheometers can also be used to measure viscoelastic properties as well as viscosities.
- To understand what makes cells simultaneously stiff and oozy - or viscoelastic - biophysicists have mostly relied on large-scale measurements.
Definition of viscoelasticity in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.