noun (plural viscosities)
1The state of being thick, sticky, and semifluid in consistency, due to internal friction.
- Water so treated will show a change of temperature, surface tension, viscosity and electrical conductivity.
- Electronics also compensate for changes in oil viscosity for consistent operation at all temperatures.
- Once aspirated, due to their low viscosity and surface tension, they reach the dependent portion of the lung and cause a chemical pneumonia.
1.1A quantity expressing the magnitude of internal friction, as measured by the force per unit area resisting a flow in which parallel layers unit distance apart have unit speed relative to one another.
- However, the temperature effect on the diffusion boundary layer involves the 1/6 power of the ratio of kinematic viscosities of water at the two temperatures.
- Whitaker used numerical methods to develop the interface between the two fluids with different viscosities in a Hele-Shaw cell.
- The problem involves materials of different densities, different viscosities, with very large variations in local Reynolds number (convection divided by viscous diffusion) and hydraulic conditions.
Words that rhyme with viscosityanfractuosity, animosity, atrocity, bellicosity, curiosity, fabulosity, ferocity, generosity, grandiosity, impecuniosity, impetuosity, jocosity, luminosity, monstrosity, nebulosity, pomposity, ponderosity, porosity, preciosity, precocity, reciprocity, religiosity, scrupulosity, sinuosity, sumptuosity, velocity, verbosity, virtuosity
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.