1The wife or widow of a viscount.
- The wives of a king, prince, duke, marquess, earl, viscount and baron are queen, princess, duchess, marchioness, countess, viscountess and baroness respectively.
- The viscountess and the countess had very different, simultaneous reactions to this statement of Lady Gwyneth's.
- Thirty gowns each, your highness, ten capes and five habits for both Princess Gayle and the viscountess as well.
1.1A woman holding the rank of viscount in her own right.
- ‘Lady Mackenzie is a viscountess,’ the Marquis supplied dryly.
- Both Lady Garwood and Lady Gwyneth immediately leaned forward in anticipation as the viscountess cleared her throat self-importantly.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of viscountess in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.