Definition of vitreous in English:
1Like glass in appearance or physical properties.
- Oneillite is vitreous, transparent to translucent, with a white streak.
- The mineral is transparent to translucent and has a vitreous to pearly luster and white streak.
- Most natural corundum is of industrial quality, but transparent to translucent varieties with their adamantine to vitreous luster potentially yield gemstones.
1.1(Of a substance) derived from or containing glass: the toilet and bidet are made of vitreous china
More example sentences
- In its original sense enamel is glass or vitreous paste fused to a prepared surface, usually of metal, by means of intense heat.
- There are different techniques of enamelling and one of them is when a vitreous coating is fused on to a metallic surface.
- They started with eight-inch-square biscuit blanks made by Wedgwood or Minton, Hollins and Company and preferred vitreous paint applied with brushes, palette knives, or their fingers.
- Example sentences
- Taking advantage of differences in vitreousness of corn grain could provide advantages in the future.
- Shriveled seed with normal coloration and vitreousness may be docked for poor test weight at the elevator.
- The vitreousness of grain was inherited intermediately, and positive heterosis was often observed.
Definition of vitreous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan