1Like glass in appearance or physical properties.
- Oneillite is vitreous, transparent to translucent, with a white streak.
- The mineral is transparent to translucent and has a vitreous to pearly luster and white streak.
- Most natural corundum is of industrial quality, but transparent to translucent varieties with their adamantine to vitreous luster potentially yield gemstones.
1.1(Of a substance) derived from or containing glass: the toilet and bidet are made of vitreous china
More example sentences
- In its original sense enamel is glass or vitreous paste fused to a prepared surface, usually of metal, by means of intense heat.
- There are different techniques of enamelling and one of them is when a vitreous coating is fused on to a metallic surface.
- They started with eight-inch-square biscuit blanks made by Wedgwood or Minton, Hollins and Company and preferred vitreous paint applied with brushes, palette knives, or their fingers.
- Example sentences
- Taking advantage of differences in vitreousness of corn grain could provide advantages in the future.
- Shriveled seed with normal coloration and vitreousness may be docked for poor test weight at the elevator.
- The vitreousness of grain was inherited intermediately, and positive heterosis was often observed.
Definition of vitreous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.