1Producing powerful feelings or strong, clear images in the mind: memories of that evening were still vivid a vivid description
More example sentences
- New moving images may become as vivid and powerful as traumatic memories in the mind of a child survivor.
- Kit could feel the anger coursing through his mind and everything was vivid and clear.
- She had another terrible nightmare and could not shake the vivid images from her mind.
graphic, evocative, realistic, lifelike, faithful, authentic, clear, detailed, lucid, eloquent, striking, arresting, impressive, colorful, rich, picturesque, dramatic, lively, stimulating, interesting, fascinating, scintillating;
memorable, powerful, stirring, moving, telling, haunting
1.1(Of a color) intensely deep or bright.
- The deep, vivid colours make angels landing by silence much more than just another flower picture.
- The display is great-very large, as you can see, with a bright backlight and vivid colour.
- His pieces are bright, luminous and painted in vivid colours.
bright, colorful, brilliant, radiant, vibrant, glaring, strong, bold, deep, intense, rich, warm
2 archaic (Of a person or animal) lively and vigorous.
- Fisk is a garlanded, dynamic, vivid reporter, one of the best in the world.
- The question is whether the author can live up to the vivid characters and style of the first book.
- Bristling with vivid characters, they give an electrifying glimpse into an unknown world.
- Example sentences
- Behind his jollity and vividness, lay a cold, dark interior, hidden to all.
- In recent years, a homesickness for myth - for the sensuality and vividness that ‘history’ discards - has inspired a renaissance of poem as narrative.
- Regarded simply on its literary merits, there is nothing I know of to excel it in vividness, in pathos, in a burning earnestness, in a glow of conviction that fires from the heart to the heart.
Mid 17th century: from Latin vividus, from vivere 'to live'.
Words that rhyme with vividlivid
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.