Definition of vivisection in English:
1The practice of performing operations on live animals for the purpose of experimentation or scientific research (used only by people who are opposed to such work).
- One commenter has even suggested Aaron's lack of posting on animal vivisection in the past somehow means he is being hypocritical now.
- The collection on ‘Protecting’ includes vivid protests against vivisection and cruelty to animals.
- Still other revisions seek to update Animal Farm by cleverly linking it to topics such as animal rights and vivisection.
early 18th century: from Latin vivus 'living', on the pattern of dissection.
- Example sentences
- Apparently pitched into a renegade research institute where vivisectionists are investigating what makes man tick, the audience are never sure whether they are visitors or subjects as they are herded about in darkness.
- Our English vivisectionists study in the schools of the Continent, and in several cases have brought over foreigners to be their assistants at home.
- Many writers have already discussed vivisection in great depth, but I hope I can give you another angle - that of a vivisectionist.
Pronunciation: /-ist/noun& adjective
Definition of vivisection in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan