1Relating to or produced by a volcano or volcanoes.
- In addition to scoria and ash, other volcanic ejecta include blocks, bombs, and xenoliths.
- More than 80 Vesuvius eruptions were listed in a recent worldwide directory of volcanic activity.
- Even scarier and more destructive than volcanic mudflows are pyroclastic flows or glowing avalanches.
1.1(Especially of a feeling or emotion) bursting out or liable to burst out violently: the kind of volcanic passion she’d felt last night
More example sentences
- As he gazes past you into the middle-distance, you sense that he could erupt in a volcanic temper.
- Football's corporate wing is doing its best to raise the level of excitement about the competition to volcanic levels.
- Example sentences
- There have been five successive low intensity earthquakes in recent days in the island's most volcanically active zone, in the area between Mount Teide and Santiago del Teide.
- Some people grieve mightily, volcanically, with sadness and anger and regret issuing forth like a painful eruption.
- A new model helps explain the latest episode of rapid surface rise and increased geyser activity - from 1997 to 2003-in the volcanically active region in the western United States.
Late 18th century: from French volcanique, from volcan (see volcano).
Words that rhyme with volcanicaldermanic, botanic, Brahmanic, Britannic, epiphanic, galvanic, Germanic, Hispanic, interoceanic, Koranic, manganic, manic, mechanic, messianic, oceanic, organic, panic, Puranic, Romanic, satanic, shamanic, talismanic, titanic, transoceanic, tympanic
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of volcanic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.