Definition of vole in English:
A small, typically burrowing, mouselike rodent with a rounded muzzle, found in both Eurasia and North America.
- Subfamily Microtinae (or Arvicolinae), family Muridae: several genera, in particular Microtus, and numerous species
- Small mammals, especially rodents such as voles, pocket gophers, and mice make up most of the Great Gray Owl's diet.
- Investigators are coming closer to answering this question by studying voles, small rodents commonly known as field mice.
- Different levels of the receptor are thought to explain the very different behaviours of meadow voles and prairie voles.
Early 19th century (originally vole-mouse): from Norwegian voll(mus) 'field (mouse)'.
Words that rhyme with volebarcarole, bole, bowl, cajole, coal, Cole, condole, console, control, dhole, dole, droll, enrol (US enroll), extol, foal, goal, hole, Joel, knoll, kohl, mol, mole, Nicole, parol, parole, patrol, pole, poll, prole, rôle, roll, scroll, Seoul, shoal, skoal, sole, soul, stole, stroll, thole, Tirol, toad-in-the-hole, toll, troll, whole
Definition of vole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.