- A wedge-shaped or tapered stone used to construct an arch.More example sentences
- This tomb is notable because it introduced for the first time in India the principle of the true arch with radiating voussoirs.
- It has to be remembered that even repeated patterns round a window required different models for each side, as well as for the voussoirs, keystone, and stop-ends, each of which had to be specially drawn.
- At the underside of the sixth floor, the atrium narrows to a small opening encircled by polished granite voussoirs.
early 18th cent: via French from popular Latin volsorium, based on Latin volvere 'to roll'. The word, borrowed from Old French, was also used for a time in late Middle English.
More definitions of voussoirDefinition of voussoir in:
- The British & World English dictionary