Definition of vulva in English:
1The female external genitals.
- Lichen planus can affect other parts of the body such as the nails, scalp (causing hair loss) and rarely, the inside of the vulva or oesophagus.
- Bartholin's duct cysts, the most common cystic growths in the vulva, occur in the labia majora.
- Two lesions presented as nodules, and 1 presented as a mass; the tumors were located on the eyelid, vulva, and abdomen.
1.1 Zoology The external opening of the vagina or reproductive tract in a female mammal or nematode.
- The nematode vulva is formed from precursor cells in the ventral epidermis called Pn.p cells.
- In the examined specimens, it is not possible to directly observe the vulva opening on sternite 6 because it is probably (as with modern dorippids) covered by the abdomen.
- A developmental process studied in great detail is the development of the vulva, the egg-laying structure of nematodes.
- Example sentences
- Gynaecological cancers - cervical, ovarian, endometrial and vulval - are the most common type to hit women under 35.
- The most extreme form of female circumcision, infibulation, involves the complete removal of the vulval tissue including the clitoris and the labia.
- Some people in this area who deal in student health and women's health say that the current epidemic of G strings, is making cystitis worse by causing irritation to the vulval area and making spread of these organisms more likely.
- Example sentences
- Women with a history of vulvar disease should examine themselves more often, perhaps every two weeks.
- The physical examination may reproduce the pain, such as localized pain with vulvar vestibulitis, when the vagina is touched with a cotton swab.
- Because the Bartholin's glands usually shrink during menopause, a vulvar growth in a postmenopausal woman should be evaluated for malignancy.
Late Middle English: from Latin, literally 'womb'.
Words that rhyme with vulvatriumvir • slipcover • Cordova
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.