Definition of walking stick in English:
1A stick, typically with a curved handle, used for support when walking.
- Jordan, who walked into Leeds Crown Court with the aid of a walking stick, supplied medical evidence from three cardiac consultants saying he was unfit to stand trial.
- Keith Pickering's walking sticks are fabulous, individual-crafted works of art.
- Clearly supported on a walking stick, I motioned to the driver to circle over and pick me up.
2 (also walkingstick) North American A long, slender, slow-moving insect that resembles a twig. In many species, it appears that there are no males and that the females lay fertile eggs without mating.
- Family Phasmatidae, order Phasmida: many genera
- Besides researching thrips, he studies speciation and asexuality in walking sticks and the phylogenetics of Galapagos Islands snails.
- Remarkably, nepetalactone next turned up in an insect, the walking stick.
- Lizards and birds zestily eat walking sticks of either pattern, so camouflage offers a big advantage.
Definition of walking stick in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India