Definition of wall plate in English:
1A piece of lumber laid horizontally in or on a wall as a support for a girder, rafter, or joist.
- The wall plate supporting the ground floor structure was not isolated from the damp walls and was, itself, damp.
- Use construction adhesive rather than nails or screws to adhere your bottom wall plate to the floor.
- The lead was dressed over the top of the fascia boards and, on the inside, it was dressed over the wall plate and the lower part of each rafter.
2A metal plate fixed to a wall for attaching a bracket, wiring, or other device.
- She saw the wall plate near the door to the dining room.
- A wall plate will be permanently displayed there to acknowledge the generous contributions to providing the new facilities.
- As well as that, each subscriber will get a parchment receipt in the form of a replica of the new building, and their name will be recorded on a permanent wall plate in the new boathouse for posterity.
Definition of wall plate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.