Definition of walleye in English:
1An eye with a streaked or opaque white iris.
- The blue eye is considered to be different than the wall eye, appearing a grey/blue colour.
- Bo has what I know to be a wall eye, where the brown pigment of the eye doesn't stretch right to the edge, so you get a visible white area around the brown bit.
1.1An eye directed abnormally outward.
- Somehow in my awful, writhing state I notice that he is wall-eyed.
- Rembrandt, the 17 th-century Dutch master known for his skill in using light to carry perspective, may have been wall-eyed, a U.S. researcher proposed on Wednesday.
- According to computer scientist Marc Levoy of Stanford University, Michelangelo's magnificent statue of ‘David’ in the Galleria dell'Accademia in Florence, Italy, is wall-eyed.
2A North American pikeperch with large, opaque silvery eyes. It is a commercially valuable food fish and a popular sporting fish.
- Stizostedion vitreum, family Percidae
- The shortnose gar are predators that can occupy the role of a scavenger, but often competes for food with common gamefishes like the northern pike, walleyes, and bass.
- High ratings were also given to other desirable fish like the bluegill, the walleye, and the yellow perch.
- Cool- and cold-water fish, such as walleye and trout, are being pushed farther northward into Canada, while warm-water species, such as smallmouth bass, are moving into northern U.S. waters.
- Example sentences
- A lousy musical performance would be problematic; but a botched dance move would be complete and total career suicide, as the expression of wall-eyed panic on her face clearly illustrated.
- Stalin's foreign admirers were wall-eyed intellectuals, tantalised by the violent engineering of Utopia as they stalked the corridors of the London School of Economics.
- Not for him the flared-nostril aggression of a manager-class cybercrat, or the wall-eyed stare of the technologist.
Definition of walleye in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.