Definition of war dialer in English:
A program used to find phone numbers that connect to a modem, often used by someone seeking to access the computers of others without permission.
- Using ‘war dialers,’ Ambersail specializes in tracking down rogue modems, counting some of the world's largest companies and financial institutions among its clients.
- They are also never recorded as modem answered calls by war dialers or other monitoring systems.
- The war dialers are programmed to randomly dial the numbers of the phones assembled on the stage.
war dialing noun
- Example sentences
- I believe they actually were derived from the term ‘war dialing’, the process of sequentially dialing a range of phone numbers in search of a modem connect tone.
- Back in the modem days, connection-hungry nerds with time on their hands engaged in war dialing.
- In that film, war dialing is the act of using a modem attached to a computer to dial an entire exchange of phone numbers to locate any computers with modems attached to them.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan