1A wasteful person or thing: you are a great waster of time
More example sentences
- While motorists are prime examples of fuel wasters, they also consume 50.2 percent of the country's total fuel consumption, making them the largest consumer segment compared to households and industries.
- This year Las Vegas entered what it calls drought alert, meaning tight restrictions on water use for residents and businesses and heavy fines for water wasters.
- The biggest wasters of household power, desktop and laptop computers, add $30 to an annual power bill when left on standby.
1.1 informal A person who does little or nothing of value.
- Academics were wasters and parasites back then too.
- ‘I wasn't looked upon as being a layabout or a waster,’ he said.
- For all their fresh financial backing this season, their team of wasters has completely squandered the best opportunity they'll ever have of getting into a Champions League final.
1.2A discarded piece of defective pottery.
- In 1987, excavations in the Calle Pureza in Triana, the pottery district of Seville, brought to light a collapsed kiln full of pottery wasters.
- Paul Woodfield says a pre-construction geophysics survey revealed nothing, so no prior excavation was required; the sherds, with large quantities of kiln wasters, were unstratified.
- The Hoi An treasure almost certainly originated specifically at a pottery in or near the hamlet of Chu Dau, where wasters of rice bowls identical to those from the wreck have been unearthed.
Words that rhyme with wastertaster
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.