Definition of watchman in English:
noun (plural watchmen)
1A man employed to look after an empty building, especially at night.
- The fences and barriers, speed bumps and empty watchmen's huts are the trappings of wealth, the buffers of avarice.
- The watchman from the previous night caught my eyes and I knew that brushing it off as a simple misunderstanding wasn't a possibility.
- For a moment I wondered if he secretly worked night shift as a watchman.
1.1 historical A member of a body of people employed to keep watch in a town at night.
- During the night, watchmen in the town watched lights flicker all over the mountain in the distance.
- If you stay long enough, you will hear mournful strains from a lone bugle - it is played every hour in memory of the watchman whose trumpeted warning of an invasion was silenced by a Turkish arrow.
- Several of the watchmen came down from the towers to confer with the king and his knights inside the castle.