1An aquatic bug that spends much of its time on the bottom, using its front legs to sieve food from the water and its hair-fringed rear legs for swimming.
- Family Corixidae, suborder Heteroptera: Corixa, Sigara, and other genera
More example sentences
- Students in Mrs. Morse's class selected such study topics as salamanders, water moccasins, crayfish, frogs, water striders, water boatmen, ducks, the pond bottom, and algae/plankton.
- A pond is a little world in itself, he says, home to a dizzying array of creatures from frogs and newts to water boatmen, diving beetles, dragonflies and damselfies.
- Water spiders skimmed, water boatmen rowed to the depths, newts basked in sunny shallows, small snails clung to leaves, ribbon-like larvae wriggled, tadpoles twitched and bloated leeches deterred paddling.
Definition of water boatman in:
- The British & World English dictionary