Definition of water chestnut in English:
1 (also Chinese water chestnut) The tuber of a tropical sedge that is widely used in Asian cooking, its white flesh remaining crisp after cooking.
- Be careful because a tiny cube of crisp water chestnut, together with some hot juice, is wrapped in the core of each ball.
- Or add flavour at the end in the form of smoked or raw fish, scallops, sliced and marinated beef, Chinese roast pork, finely chopped water chestnut or finely shredded iceberg lettuce.
- Deep-frozen eyeballs might have the same consistency, somewhere between a water chestnut and a lychee; a cavernous void would have had more flavour.
3 (also water caltrop) An aquatic plant with small white flowers, producing an edible rounded seed with two large projecting horns.
- Trapa natans, family Trapaceae
- Edible plants for your pond include watercress, water chestnuts, and arrowhead or Wapato.
- Eleocharis dulcis, is not a nut and is a completely different plant from the water chestnuts of the genus Trapa.
Definition of water chestnut in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan