- 1A small aquatic or semiaquatic fern that is either free-floating or anchored by the roots, found chiefly in tropical and warm countries.
More example sentences
- Families Azollaceae, Marsileaceae and Salviniaceae: many species, in particular the minute floating Azolla filiculoides of tropical America, which has been naturalized elsewhere
- Genomic downsizing is suggested for the heterosporous water ferns and for the aquatic fern Ceratopteris.
- However, both water ferns and Selaginella are also heterosporous, unlike any other pteridophytes except Isoetales.
- Thick mass of Trapa, an economically important free floating plant called Singhari by the local people, besides water ferns, duckweeds etc can be seen almost everywhere.
More definitions of water fernDefinition of water fern in:
- The British & World English dictionary