Definition of water jacket in English:
A casing containing water surrounding and protecting something from extremes of temperature.
- In addition, the water jacket provides protection from overheating of the firebox, a design feature not available in a hot-air furnace.
- The function of a water jacket in an engine is to help maintain a better temperature distribution in the cylinder bore.
- A single rifle bullet through the water jacket would quickly put the gun out of service, and another through virtually any body part would immediately do the same for the gunner.
- Example sentences
- The suspensions were irradiated for 6 min with visible light in a water-jacketed (25 [degrees] C) glass cuvette.
- A water-jacketed chamber with water and perfusion pumps was used for surgery, perfusion, and ventilation of murine lungs.
- This larger plant required the rectangular water-jacketed vessel to accommodate the root system.
Definition of water jacket in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan