Definition of water lily in English:
An ornamental aquatic plant with large round floating leaves and large, typically cup-shaped, floating flowers.
- Family Nymphaeaceae: several genera and many species, including the white-flowered fragrant water lily (Nymphaea odorata) of eastern North America, and the yellow-flowered Indian pond lily of California (Nuphar polysepalum)
- I got home mid-morning from my errands to discover that the water lily has opened its first flower.
- Great rafts of red/green foliage support the large, sparkling blooms of the white water lily, while the yellow fringed water lily spreads its dainty but prolific leaves and flowers from bank to bank.
- Fill it about two-thirds with water, then add a dwarf water lily (to raise it, set its pot atop an inverted container).
Definition of water lily in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.