A widely distributed plant of the dock family that grows in wet ground, with peppery-tasting leaves and sap that is a skin irritant.
- Genus Polygonum, family Polygonaceae: several species, in particular P. hydropiper
More example sentences
- Some of its family kin include buckwheat, rhubarb, sorrels, docks, bistorts, water peppers, devil's shoestring, silver lace vine, smartweed, and black bindweed.
- Polygonum hydropiperoides, Michaux (Polygonum mite, Persoon), is Mild water pepper, found in wet soil and swamps throughout the United States, and flowering from June to September.
- A neighborjoining tree for nine cultivated and 38 wild accessions indicated the incidence of the independent domestication of the three cultivated varieties, benitade, aotade and ayutade, from wild water pepper.
Definition of water pepper in:
- The British & World English dictionary