Definition of water pepper in English:
A widely distributed plant of the dock family that grows in wet ground, with peppery-tasting leaves and sap that is a skin irritant.
- Genus Polygonum, family Polygonaceae: several species, in particular P. hydropiper
- Some of its family kin include buckwheat, rhubarb, sorrels, docks, bistorts, water peppers, devil's shoestring, silver lace vine, smartweed, and black bindweed.
- Polygonum hydropiperoides, Michaux (Polygonum mite, Persoon), is Mild water pepper, found in wet soil and swamps throughout the United States, and flowering from June to September.
- A neighborjoining tree for nine cultivated and 38 wild accessions indicated the incidence of the independent domestication of the three cultivated varieties, benitade, aotade and ayutade, from wild water pepper.
Definition of water pepper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.