Definition of water rat in English:
Any of a number of semiaquatic rodents, in particular.
- the Florida water rat (Neofiber alleni, family Muridae) of Florida and southern Georgia, and the muskrat
- Within this family, some species are particularly relevant, as is the case of Nectomys squamipes, a South American water rat that is a primary host of the parasite Schistosoma mansoni.
- To determine the geographical distribution of the phenotypes, we analyzed 820 skins of the South American water rat that were collected in various places in Brazil over a century and deposited at the National Museum of Rio de Janeiro.
- The 17 hectare nature protects eight hectares of undisturbed rainforest, which is home to pademelons, brush turkeys, water rats and possums that can be seen on walks.
Definition of water rat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.