Any of a number of semiaquatic rodents, in particular.
- the Florida water rat (Neofiber alleni, family Muridae) of Florida and southern Georgia, and the muskrat
More example sentences
- Within this family, some species are particularly relevant, as is the case of Nectomys squamipes, a South American water rat that is a primary host of the parasite Schistosoma mansoni.
- To determine the geographical distribution of the phenotypes, we analyzed 820 skins of the South American water rat that were collected in various places in Brazil over a century and deposited at the National Museum of Rio de Janeiro.
- The 17 hectare nature protects eight hectares of undisturbed rainforest, which is home to pademelons, brush turkeys, water rats and possums that can be seen on walks.
Definition of water rat in:
- The British & World English dictionary