Definition of wax moth in English:
A brownish moth that lays its eggs in beehives. The caterpillars cover the combs with silken tunnels and feed on beeswax.
- Genera Galleria and Achroea, family Pyralidae: several species, in particular G. mellonella
- In the greater wax moth, Galleria mellonella, distinctions between mates and predators are potentially difficult to make.
- During early research, they used cadavers of Galleria mellonella, or greater wax moth.
- The young were hand-reared on a mixed diet of wax moth larvae; crickets; and a mixture of ground beef heart, wheat, curd, calcium, and vitamins.
Definition of wax moth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.