Definition of weakfish in English:
noun (plural same or weakfishes)
A large, slender-bodied marine fish living along the east coast of North America, popular as a food fish and for sport. Also called sea trout.
- Cynoscion regalis, family Sciaenidae
- It's all about how to fly-fish for stripers, bluefish, albacore, bonito, weakfish and hickory shad.
- At another place I very proudly served weakfish as ‘Sea Trout with Sautéed Cucumbers.’
- The shellfish stands alongside a pair of spicy romesco-sauced toasts atop lean, flavorful weakfish and pale, delicate, almost liquid skate, along with strips of fennel and red peppers.
Late 18th century: from obsolete Dutch weekvisch, from week 'soft' + visch 'fish'.
Definition of weakfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.