Definition of weevil in English:
1A small beetle with an elongated snout, the larvae of which typically develop inside seeds, stems, or other plant parts. Many are pests of crops or stored foodstuffs. Also called snout beetle.
- Weevils bore through the stem and eat the pith within, and beetle larvae bore through the roots.
- Although they are more usually a problem with plants grown in pots, vine weevils will attack plants growing out in the garden.
- I was surprised when the Royal Horticultural Society named the vine weevil as the worst pest in the garden last year.
Old English wifel 'beetle', from a Germanic base meaning 'move briskly'.
- Example sentences
- Sailors accomplished great feats of exploration on little more than limes and weevily biscuits.
Definition of weevil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan