Definition of weightlifting in English:
The sport or activity of lifting barbells or other heavy weights. There are two standard lifts in modern weightlifting: the single-movement lift from floor to extended position (the snatch), and the two-movement lift from floor to shoulder position, and from shoulders to extended position (the clean and jerk).
- Sports like gymnastics, weightlifting and volleyball apply more stimulation for bone growth than running.
- Heavy weightlifting or similar activities that require straining are discouraged.
- Olympic weightlifting consists of two lifts: The snatch and the clean and jerk.
- Example sentences
- Olympic weightlifters follow strict training regimens that may involve three daily sessions totaling up to six hours of training a day.
- A recent study found that seven out of 10 weightlifters surveyed had gastroesophageal reflux disease, also known as heartburn.
- After almost a century of trial and error, weightlifters have proved that the six-meals-per-day plan works best for muscle building.
Words that rhyme with weightliftingside-splitting
Definition of weightlifting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan