Definition of welterweight in English:
1A weight in boxing and other sports intermediate between lightweight and middleweight. In the amateur boxing scale it ranges from 140 to 147 pounds (63.5-67 kg).
- The merciless street-fighter known as the ‘fists of stone’ went on to win world titles at lightweight, welterweight and light middleweight.
- Henry Armstrong held world titles at featherweight, lightweight and welterweight simultaneously and won 150 fights.
- At the 2003 Pan American Games, the USA qualified a spot in three divisions: featherweight, welterweight and super heavyweight.
1.1A welterweight boxer or other competitor.
- Barnes added: ‘We're two of the best welterweights in the country going head to head so there is a lot of anticipation.’
- Margarito is one of the fiercest welterweights to come along in years.
- During World War II, he competed as a welterweight for the Air Force, boxing in Australia and New Guinea.
early 19th century: welter of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with welterweightcounterweight
Definition of welterweight in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia