Definition of welterweight in English:
1A weight in boxing and other sports intermediate between lightweight and middleweight. In the amateur boxing scale it ranges from 140 to 147 pounds (63.5-67 kg).
- The merciless street-fighter known as the ‘fists of stone’ went on to win world titles at lightweight, welterweight and light middleweight.
- Henry Armstrong held world titles at featherweight, lightweight and welterweight simultaneously and won 150 fights.
- At the 2003 Pan American Games, the USA qualified a spot in three divisions: featherweight, welterweight and super heavyweight.
1.1A welterweight boxer or other competitor.
- Barnes added: ‘We're two of the best welterweights in the country going head to head so there is a lot of anticipation.’
- Margarito is one of the fiercest welterweights to come along in years.
- During World War II, he competed as a welterweight for the Air Force, boxing in Australia and New Guinea.
Early 19th century: welter of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with welterweightcounterweight
Definition of welterweight in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.