Definition of welwitschia in English:
A gymnospermous plant of desert regions in southwestern Africa that has a dwarf, massive trunk, two long strap-shaped leaves, and male and female flowers in the scales of scarlet cones. It is remarkable for its ability to extract moisture from fog.
- Genus Welwitschia, family Welwitschiaceae: one species, W. mirabilis
- Here you find the most extreme desert adapted fauna and flora including Hartmann's Mountain zebra, chameleons, 1,000 year old welwitschia and quiver trees.
- A single pair of leaves is the sum total of the foliage that welwitschias produce in their lifetime.
- The Centre is also monitoring a population of welwitschias further upriver, at the site of the old Hope copper mine.
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, named after Friedrich Welwitsch (1806–72), Austrian botanist.
Definition of welwitschia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.