Definition of welwitschia in English:
A gymnospermous plant of desert regions in southwestern Africa that has a dwarf, massive trunk, two long strap-shaped leaves, and male and female flowers in the scales of scarlet cones. It is remarkable for its ability to extract moisture from fog.
- Genus Welwitschia, family Welwitschiaceae: one species, W. mirabilis
- Here you find the most extreme desert adapted fauna and flora including Hartmann's Mountain zebra, chameleons, 1,000 year old welwitschia and quiver trees.
- A single pair of leaves is the sum total of the foliage that welwitschias produce in their lifetime.
- The Centre is also monitoring a population of welwitschias further upriver, at the site of the old Hope copper mine.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, named after Friedrich Welwitsch (1806–72), Austrian botanist.
Definition of welwitschia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan