Definition of western hemlock in English:
A large coniferous tree with flattened needles of two different sizes, grown for pulp and as an ornamental. It occurs chiefly along the Pacific coast from northern California to Alaska and in the northern Rocky Mountains.
- Tsuga heterophylla, family Pinaceae
- Red Crossbills typically inhabit mature conifer forests, and the different types tend to specialize on preferred trees, including western hemlock, lodgepole pine and Engleman spruce.
- Eventually, dwarf mistletoe plants steal enough water, minerals, and nutrients to kill the ponderosa and lodgepole pines, Douglas-firs, western larches, and western hemlocks they attack.
- Closer to the sea, where the terrain is smoother, forests of Sitka spruce and western hemlock have developed.
Definition of western hemlock in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan