Definition of westernize in English:
verb[with object] (usually be westernized)
1Cause (a country, person, or system) to adopt or be influenced by the cultural, economic, or political systems of Europe and North America: the agreement provided for the legal system to be westernized (as adjective westernized) the more westernized parts of the city
More example sentences
- Peter attempted to modernize and westernize the country militarily, administratively, economically, and culturally, often through the use of force.
- The country managed to maintain its independence because the kings realized that their country could only escape Western control by developing and westernizing the country.
- It has become increasingly unpopular in the United States, Australia and other westernized countries to import goods from countries with sweatshops.
1.1 [no object] Be in the process of adopting or being influenced by the systems of the West: (as adjective westernizing) a westernizing tribe
More example sentences
- What's more, she provides a look at New Delhi as the city westernizes into a circus of cellphones, saris, golf foursomes, hennaed hands and shiny cars.
- Myong-dong and Namdaemun market offer a glimpse of traditional daily life but have become highly westernized with most of their items for sale being more western than Korean.
- The music soundtracks have an R&B feel, and are blatantly more westernised.
- Example sentences
- At a time when cultural events influenced by westernisation are fast becoming more popular among the younger generation, there is a growing concern that ancient and traditional arts would slowly fade away.
- He believes that describing Indian youths as westernised is wrong, because despite outward westernisation, they have a deep yearning for Indian culture.
- Underneath the veneer of westernisation there is a hugely abundant and powerful cultural tradition that won't die out and is in fact also influencing us in the west.
Pronunciation: /ˌwestərnəˈzāSH(ə)n/ /ˌwestərˌnīˈzāSH(ə)n/noun
Definition of westernize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.