1An elastic horny substance that grows in a series of thin parallel plates in the upper jaw of some whales and is used by them to strain plankton from the seawater. Also called baleen.
- The bow itself could be simply of wood or of a composite of horn or whalebone placed between two thin pieces of yew and covered in tendon, while steel bows appear from the 14th century.
- Whaling for this species began near Spitsbergen, Norway, as early as 1611 and continued until the early 1900s when the animal's numbers became too low to be economically viable and the demand for whalebone ended.
- Upon his return from his whaling voyages, his ships were laden with typical whaling ship cargo like sperm oil and whalebone.
1.1Strips of whalebone, used formerly as stays in corsets and dresses: [as modifier]: a whalebone bodice
More example sentences
- Rumour has it that having purchased a sheer evening gown for one of her social events she found the corset with whalebones totally unacceptable under the dress.
- I recall one small urchin without a rag of clothing save the basque waist of a lady's dress, bristling with whalebones, and worn wrong side before, beneath which his smooth ebony legs emerged like those of an ostrich from its plumage.
- Older women can afford to agree that femininity is a charade, a matter of colored hair, ecru lace and whalebones, the kind of slap and tat that transvestites are in love with, and no more.
1.2Bone or ivory from a whale or walrus.
- He works in wood, ivory, whalebone, and bronze, and after a year in Europe he brought several tons of Cararra marble home with him to Suquamish.
- While many supports were used, ivory or whalebone, was the most common.
- And quite right too, cause there are only three interesting things in Poland (Auschwitz, the European bison, and an old whalebone in Krakow cathedral.
Words that rhyme with whalebonetail bone
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of whalebone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.