1A cereal plant that is the most important kind grown in temperate countries, the grain of which is ground to make flour for bread, pasta, pastry, etc.
- Genus Triticum, family Gramineae: several species, including bread wheat (T. aestivum) and durum wheat, and many distinctive cultivars
More example sentences
- Other Iron Age crops included the more ancient emmer wheat (Triticum dicoccum, which was grown on light soils), bread wheat, oats, rye, peas, Celtic beans, and flax.
- Three species exist both as wild and domesticated wheats, einkorn, emmer, and breadwheat.
- The many thousands of grains comprise not just emmer and naked barley, but also bread wheat - which points clearly to the Neolithic - and linseed.
separate the wheat from the chaff
- see chaff1.
Definition of wheat in:
- The British & World English dictionary