Definition of wheatear in English:
A mainly Eurasian and African songbird related to the chats, with black and buff or black and white plumage and a white rump.
- Genus Oenanthe, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae: several species, in particular the gray-backed northern wheatear (O. oenanthe), found in the arctic barrens of Eurasia and northeastern Canada
- Skylarks, wheatears, pipits and greylag geese fill any silences that remain.
- Other species such as the wheatear, ring ouzel, and sandwich tern have all been observed about one week earlier than usual.
- The name wheatears comes from the Anglo-Saxon.
Definition of wheatear in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia