- A small migratory curlew of northern Eurasia and northern Canada, with a striped crown and a trilling call.
More example sentences
- Numenius phaeopus, family Scolopacidae
- There were 29 Hudsonian godwits, several whimbrels, 2 dunlins, greater shearwaters and black tern.
- Other prominent shorebirds are the whimbrels and godwits.
- Spotted redshank share their forest-marsh nesting grounds with wood sandpipers, greenshank, whimbrel, jack snipe and broad-billed sandpipers.
More definitions of whimbrelDefinition of whimbrel in:
- The British & World English dictionary