A small Eurasian and North African songbird related to the stonechat, with a brown back and orange-buff underparts.
- Saxicola rubetra, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
More example sentences
- Insect life is increasing rapidly, encouraging birds such as snipe, curlew, grasshopper warbler, sedge warbler, and whinchat.
- Evidence of breeding for both wheatears and whinchats would be particularly welcomed by the County Recorder!
- Plenty stonechats, whinchats, wheatear, both adults and young were abundant in numbers.
More definitions of whinchatDefinition of whinchat in:
- The British & World English dictionary