1A white man regarded by people of a nonwhite race as having authority over them.
- In doing so, he revealed a preoccupation which evidently possesses his waking thoughts - that he is the great White Father, come to rescue the oppressed brown people of the world from their deprivation.
- But he's trapped in a role (Great White Father) that became obsolete about three generations ago.
- Because this isn't your Great White Father's Third World anymore.
2A member of the Society of Missionaries of Africa, a Roman Catholic order founded in Algiers in 1868.
- It was further edited by a White Father missionary, Edouard Labreque, and finally published in Bemba as Ifikolwe Fyandi na Bantu Bandi (My Ancestors and My People).
- The nine mission stations of the White Fathers accounted for the bulk of European residents in 1940.
- The cruelly-bound prisoners passed the home of the White Fathers on their way to execution.
Translating French Père Blanc.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: White Fa·ther
Definition of White Father in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.